Southern Sausage Balls
Southern Sausage & Cheese Balls
The Perfect Appetizer -
The smell of sausage aroma is filling the house. Does it get any better?
These sausage balls are simple, non-greasy, moist and delicious. What makes them extra delicious? Dip them in some good 'ole #smuckers red plum jam. I was raised on red plum jam, my husband was raised on red plum jam, and I have passed down the love of this great jam to my kids. I have my co-worker's addicted to this great taste as well. I'm highly allergic to strawberries so that is out of the question in our household. My family says this red plum jam is the best! What makes these sausage balls so good is they are moist. Who wants dry sausage balls? The trick to making them moist, non-greasy and scrumptious is adding 1/2 cup of milk to the mixture. The milk keeps them moist and doesn't dry out the Bisquick.
Below is the simple recipe:
Southern Sharp Cheddar Sausage Balls
These sausage balls are gone before you can blink! When I make these for Sunday Brunch, at the office, or on my TV Segments, they are gone before I generally can grab some for myself.
INGREDIENTS: Yields approx. 12
- 2 ½ - 3 cups Bisquick
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded from block
- 2 teaspoons Lowry’s garlic pepper
- 1 pound Jimmy Dean regular sausage
Preheat oven to 375°F
- In large mixing bowl, add in sausage.
- Fold in shredded cheddar cheese (shred from block)
- Add in milk (helps to keep moisten)
- Started adding in Bisquick, using your hands to make sure sausage is covered.
- Using hands, roll into ½ inch balls, placing 1 inch apart.
- Garnish each ball with garlic pepper.
- Bake in oven for 25-30 minutes until outside of ball is golden, and sausage isn’t pink on inside.
Tips: Adding a little milk to the mix will return a moist sausage ball. Also, use shredded sharp cheese that you shred yourself. Package cheese contains a coating called “cellulose” that blocks moisture and keeps the cheese from melting as well.
Have you tried our Cream Cheese Sausage Balls? These make a great appetizer as well!