I love good 'ole comfort foods. Growing up my mama made comfort foods nightly. One of my very favorites is good 'ole southern goulash. I have changed mine up over the years to various different ways to make. The nice thing about hamburger dishes or casseroles is the ability to switch it up occasionally.
The recipe below is for simple, quick and easy goulash. It is great with Sweet Yellow Cornbread!
Pat’s Southern Goulash
One of my very favorite Sunday Supper meals. This dish will warm your entire body.
- 1/2-pound macaroni
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 14.5 ounces can whole stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- ½ cup tomato juice
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Boil the macaroni according to package directions. While it’s cooking, brown the ground beef and onion together in an extra-large skillet.
- Drain well
- Transfer back to large skillet
- Add in salt, pepper, and garlic pepper.
- Add in 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- In a large bowl, mash tomatoes with potato masher,
- Add to beef, along with ketchup, and water
- Drain macaroni and add to the beef mixture, stirring well.
- Add additional seasoning as needed
- Let simmer on medium heat for 10-15 minutes until hot and combined